Saturday, July 30, 2005

Martha, Martha, Martha!

I am not Jan Brady, I am Tink… But I couldn’t resist! I mean this post is ALL about Martha, and I have taken long enough to get her up and done. Actually I have taken long enough to post period. Cause really I have all these posts in my head and neither the time nor energy to post them. Must fix that… anyways. Martha she be done! And I be very, very happy with the results. She has had her first and second outings. I have worn her to work and a bar/club (she probably preferred the bar if she is anything like her creator) and she is well on her way to becoming a wardrobe favorite. Hell I have had friends ask if I can make them one :) Anyways this is the wrap up post on my first real sweater that I have made, that I will really wear. And if you didn’t guess it, I am pleased as punch with that part of the deal. When I first started knitting, hell even today, it is less about the product and more about the actual knitting (which is the calming bit on me :) But now… now I can make things I would actually wear, moreover items that are fashionable. And that my friends is cool. What is even better is that I have an elf who work on Martha… see! I think I need to knit her an appropriate elven hat though :) Gratitude it comes in many forms! Thus without further ado… I give you Martha: Martha, Martha, Martha Project Specs: Pattern: Martha; Rowan 37 Yarn: Rowan Cotton 4ply 6 balls in the smallest size (I think the colour is Aegean- its Turquoise to me) Start: May 2005 End: July 2005 Lessons learned: First if there is a pattern repeat, and you don’t have enough to do it with at least a 1 stitch edge… don’t do it! And plan ahead on that part for when you get to the seams… Would look a bit more professional that way, me thinks. Tricks of the Trade: I learned how to pray at the altar of the NASCAR Gods and do a crocheted chain stitch for my shoulder seams (let’s hope I remember how for next time :) and how to mattress stitch! I have conqueored the mattress stitch. And to be honest, I really like mattress stitch. I also learned how to watch an elf mattress stitch my “set-in” sleeves. I mean who knew Kirs were power fuel for the seamers?? Next up- Tour de France and socks...

7 Comments:

Anonymous Jackie said...

Martha is freakin' adorable.

7:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

First one?! I think you did a darn good job - makes me want one too. Hmm. you deserve more yarn...Terry in SF

2:07 PM  
Blogger Jessica said...

Yay!!! A finished Martha! It looks so cute! Yay!

10:29 PM  
Blogger sharlync said...

Mattress stitched, set-in sleeves?! I never knew it could be or should be done. Well then, to hell with backstitch :)! Congrats on finishing, it's gorgeous. Maybe a Martha in my future?

11:58 PM  
Anonymous Brynne said...

That's so cute! It's good to see one finished. Maybe you'll inspire the rest of us to pick ours back up and knit!

6:12 PM  
Anonymous anmiryam said...

It's fantastic and looks adorable on you. I just started mine, in the same color, this weekend. Thanks for the inspiration to keep going.

3:43 PM  
Blogger Alan Kneidel said...

Oh my God you are so successful so quickly! That fate has blessed you so. Mad props from NC, you are shredding it(but not literally, you actually keep it together real well)

4:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home