Thursday, June 09, 2005

It’s like they said…

Once I learn something I am possessed by it. I learned at the feet of the Goddess herself with the observance of the great Nascar Gods. People I now know how to mattress stitch! And I will forever thank Bonne Marie (and wish I had asked about setting in sleeves- good thing I have another resource here in town to bribe :) I am master of my seaming and I couldn’t be happier since I don’t see my seam! And if you do I don’t want to hear about it! (You kind of can but that is because I screwed up on the pattern not the seam!) And that means I have a fully seamed Martha (and am even seaming Pretty Wrappy Top and Fern, but mohair seaming when it is warm goes on the back burner). Now to learn how to set the sleeves cause I really do want to wear Martha here soon. And since I am trying to keep money slightly tighter to my pocketbook or more appropriately that national debt that graduate school incurred, and Summer is SUPPOSED to make an appearance for longer than 3 days; I thought hey self let’s try one of those croppy top things popping up all over. That Boobholder pattern looks perfect… Oh. Wait. Who the fuck wears wool that is 3.25 stitches per inch in summer?? Hmmm… Probably that same lady who assaulted my eyes on the métro free balling without a license in a low cut halter tank top with mid bicep gauntlets in BRIGHT ASS pink. But for the record… 1-2-3 Not Me! Never fear though I am brave and spineless, I wouldn’t let something like yarn gauge dissuade me when there is wine. So I sat down with the pattern and … started to search for my bottle of wine immediately (that is right forget the glass I want the bottle). It is somewhat vague on certain things and I could not make heads or tails of it. Even worse since I had to have a calculator out to try and change numbers, yeah brain about to self implode. But I am no quitter, no! I am an Olympic Gold Medalist in the Stud Game. I continue on and preservere against all odds and French bureaucrats. But I have to say top down patterns just do not look right on paper, not.at.all. But I had a ball of Phildar Aviso to try and off I went. After you get started and blindly follow, making up other bits on your own; you start to see how it works and you no longer totally freak. Except for ripping it all out because you didn’t change numbers and this thing is only going to fit a Cabbage Patch Kid. So I got myself committed and started over. That meant I needed to go buy yarn. I also decided if I was going to do one I was going to do the other so to the Bon Marché I went. I bought me a Chibi, it’s not pink but it will have to do for now. I also got myself some small clover stitch holders, I found the color I would love to make a croppy top in with Rowan Handknit Cotton to try out and of course more Aviso. Then there was a makeup make over courtesy of the International Artistic Director for Stila who grabbed me as I walked by, followed by shopping on the rue Cherche du Midi with a stop at my favorite boulanger- Poilane for bread to go with my cheese at home. And walking I home through the Luxembourg Jardins I go… Once home I clean up and get down to business- watching a movie and knitting this thing. Oh dear god… it looks like a tiny and quick knit non? Even at a HUGE feeling 4 stitches per inch I see my life passing before my eyes and it is NOT growing… But I still in my delusional state think I can somehow manage to finish in time to wear on Monday when if the weather keeps up it will be cold and not really wearable. I am clearly high on something! Something that really ought to make my fingers stop hurting, but it doesn’t. Emma see these? They are beee-ouu-ti-ful and I am using them. I can’t make that turtleneck shrug in Merlot Cork yet, which with the weather we have been having I would put to good use, but I can use the stitch holders. And this time using them doesn’t make me batty. Between them and my Denise needles (oh thank Bloody Dog for those Denise needles- the Aviso does NOT like to slide round the loop and is slightly splitty but I can switch loops and insert a really long one to try it on! If it weren’t for Denise needles I might have given up a long time ago.) I am getting somewhere but not where enough fast enough for my liking. Thank god for the French Open Finals and the Matrix otherwise I would have totally given up. But persist I did and what do you know if I didn’t finish it! After I finished I saw things I might want to do differently. But it would involve LOTS of ripping out and I wasn’t up for that. So hey it isn’t perfect, I will live it was cheap since I used Phildar. I decided I like Aviso (especially as a substitute for Rowan’s All Seasons Cotton), and we will see how it holds up with this trial. If it holds well I will use it again (though I wish they did better on colors!). Additionally there are modifications if I make it again. First I might want finer gauge; I know I just bitched and groaned about how I thought it took forever with a thicker yarn but finer might look a bit more polished and sophisticated for work… Turns out even though I tried it on I couldn’t tell the sleeves deal and I think I should have started the body rounds one or two rows earlier. Also I think rather than do decrease rounds on the sleeves (which I brought out the DPN’s for and did in the round) I will decrease when they are part of those rows that NEVER END. I also think I needed to start the V earlier. And if I decided to do the button I would need to remember that, as the pattern says nothing about button or buttonhole except to attach a button. I think I am an intermediate knitter but I am also a ditzy intermediate knitter. And if I get brave I may try to incorporate a different neckline. For all its annoyances this experience taught me lots. And at 14 euros I think it was worth it. I learned top down construction with the raglan increases, which forced me to learn the right way to do a strand/M1 increase (instead of a pinhole increase). And I actually like this design style. Well except for the casting off bit, cause it is very obvious and I need to test out other ways to find one that works better and lies flat. It gave me ideas for my own croppy wrappy top that I have been playing around with design-wise. So a quick rundown on the specs for an FO!!! Dressy or Casual Pattern: Mini Sweater / Boobholder by Glampyre Yarn: Phildar Aviso in Black (4 balls/about 300yds) Gauge: 16 stitches x 28 rows (and you do have to take that bitch row gauge into account here or you are going to be off) Modifications: Change in gauge. Sleeves done in round. Started June 3, 2005 Finished June 6, 2005

5 Comments:

Blogger sharlync said...

You mastered mattress stich. Good girl :)! The boobholder looks great and good for you on modifying the pattern.

6:30 PM  
Blogger froggyknits.com said...

your seam looks great and that boobholder is fantastic.

11:07 PM  
Blogger kris said...

beautiful boob holder! i have this on my to-do list as well. no chance of warm weather up here so i might as well make it in wool ...

12:50 PM  
Anonymous Ann said...

Smashing boobholder! looks really great. I really must make one of those.

And, mattress stitch? totally changed my life. It's like a miracle!!

2:09 PM  
Anonymous Alison C said...

I like it! It looks good on you.

2:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home