Wednesday, February 23, 2005

I Get a Cookie!

And snow too. Well now its all about singing “let it slush, let it slush, let it slush” and shouting at the guards that it is RILLY stewpid that they have shut the WHOLE of the Luxembourg gardens (which looks like winter wonderland) for about 1.5 inches of snow. But I can't even begin to tell you how his past week has been the bestest! And yes I left that last post up longer to get extra comments cause I am like that :) I promise to stop gushing sometime in the near future as you may all start to wonder what has happened to that snarky inner bitch and I can’t have that now can I?? Really though it is a complete convergence zone here in Paris. Between my loony aunt, and by loony I mean when I told her I was moving to Europe (where the family is FROM) she asked if I was going to become a prostitute. Cause that is what they do here… you know. A family that warns you against prostitution is the kind of family that stays together non?? Anyways one may have flown over her cuckoos nest a LONG time ago, but she has a heart of gold, in spite of it being misplaced. And it turns out that she has left me a small nugget of money for when I got married. Being that I am BARRELLING STRAIGHT at my expiration date (you know 30) without a man at my side, dear Mama Mao decided she would crack into the CD (that I knew NOTHING about, and seriously was set to expire when I turned 30) early and let me use it to pay rent this month. Finally those sexist family values do something besides bite me in the ass. That collided with the lovely French gender values. The one where one of the women who is on the team I will be joining is pregnant and her doctor has told her to go on maternity leave 2 weeks early. So I get a call asking me to start my job 2 weeks early. 2 weeks of EXTRA and unexpected pay!! Me I am currently a TOTAL money whore so that would be accepted with pleasure. What does this all mean for Chez Tink?? Well besides the dose of generally good merriment (which I am still slightly frightened of- this many nice things all in a row… is there an anvil about to fall on my head??) the prospect of more knitting content and the slinging of happy profanities, it means a few things. First it means I will shortly be able to send out goodies. I get to send a thank you cadeau to a VERY SPECIAL knitty-blogging friend (you know who you are and I am too sending it!) Thanks to Urraca I found a site that doesn’t charge me my prize teeth in shipping and that hopefully has enough of the Cecilia in Kaki to finish those bloody collars on the pointy needles for Pretty Wrappy Top. I get to trade with another special knitting blogger for goodies in the near-ish future. And I am going to treat myself with some of this “windfall” (or as close to windfall as I am likely to get, short of winning the lottery), the rest of it will be used in my endeavour to prove I am a responsible adult and do the responsible adult crap, like pay debts off. I'd rather avoid this but I am determined not to fall into that trap (it costs more in the end and puts out negative karma people :) So I have decided my first knitty treat is to get me one of those knitting bibles that I hear everyone rant and rave over. So since I know I just hit 10000 (and am going to change counters so I can let that person know that they were the 10000 hit :) I am going to attempt to delurk you who are out there in a very easy way, before I go back to trying to pick a Koigu colour and think about what in the world to make with it.
So without further ado I bring you the first poll Chez Tink: Unfortunately until I get can find a blog poll thing to insert that works with Blogger, let me know in comments (even just an anonymous number)
Which Knitting Bible should Tink get? 1. Montse Stanley's Knitter's Handbook 2. Nancie Wiseman's Book of Finishing Techniques 3. Katharina Buss' Big Book of Knitting

14 Comments:

Blogger Amelia said...

Hello you! I would steer very very clear of Montse Stanley's book. I have it but it is way more complicated than I need and I don't find the images helpful in the slightest. My favourite encyclopedia style book is the Vogue Knitting one - I would not be without it. The finishing techniques book is quite good - I have the other one by Jane Crowfoot but I am not sure that there is much difference between the two. Email to follow soon. A.x

6:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've only got #2, but I've found it invaluable, especially after finding it a couple of places for $14.95.

Jennifer
itisrocketscience.typepad.com

8:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Tink! Glad to hear things are looking up in your corner of the world, snow be damned.

I have the Buss book, and it's pretty good. I'd recommend the Vogue book over Buss, though. I just bought the Wiseman book but haven't had a chance to really refer to it.

Oh yeah. Thank god for looney aunts. In my fam its the uncles, but still. Cuckoos always have a heart of gold.

Ann
fidget.prettyposies.com

8:49 PM  
Blogger claudia said...

The only one I have is Montse -- I can't speak for the others.

9:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is there any choice? GET ALL THREE. I have all three and don't find any one to be definitive (though the Vogue book IS really pretty darn good). Glad things have turned for the better for you! --Mariko/supereggplant

9:07 PM  
Anonymous Emma said...

Buss and Vogue is a good combo,I think.
I like happy you too. ;-]

9:18 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

I'm not all that crazy about the Montse Stanley book. My favorite is the Vogue Knitting book. I also think the Weisman book is a little jewel :)

10:38 PM  
Blogger Kitten said...

I'd go for the Montse Stanely book 'cuase I'm totally a fluff-wannabe, and frankly I find I didn't really use my Vogue book despite the hype surrounding it, I ended up using the stanley book from the library (I need to buy it too) far more often.

Also, gimme your addy I have goodies to give you for my mag.

and ENJOY your good fortune, see this is why my clusterfuck doesn't bug me so much 'cause I'm clearing out all the negative Karma and when my luck turns around? WATCHOUT

11:26 PM  
Blogger itgirl said...

I have all three but I actually refer to #2 the most. I've actually learned things from it and I sometimes carry it with me which is weird.

12:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have 1, 3, and Vogue. Use 3 and Vogue most for looking up techniques, but love to read 1.
Alison
alisonchambers@mn.rr.com

6:32 PM  
Blogger Natalie said...

Finishing Techniques! By far the most important (I own #1 & #2, and I use #2 more often than #1).

8:43 PM  
Anonymous Alison said...

Haven't got any of them, but Wiseman is the one on my list for what it's worth.
Wanna cupcake?!! They tasted as good as they looked :)

12:52 PM  
Blogger Snooze said...

Y'know, I'm a new blogger but a (relatively) old knitter and a book junkie at that. I've donated many of my books to the local library as they seem to have no idea that people in northern Michigan might knit...but I happen to have a very new-ish copy of Jane Crowfoot's "All Stitched Up"...the finishing technique book...and I'd be thrilled if I could RAOK you with it (perhaps one day they'll open the ring again and I can do it officially...)

Email me with your snail mail addy and I'll have it off to you in the morning mail!

Blessings,
Susie sgrougan@alarmguy.net

1:51 AM  
Anonymous Becky said...

Okay, I'll be honest. The very first knitting bible I ever got was Stanley's. And it's the only one I've used the most. By the time I got Nancie Wiseman's I had already "mastered" most of the techniques she shows thanks to Stanley's book. Buss' comes close in second, but I agree re Vogue Knitting (I have that one, too.). I'd put that in the list for a possible bible status in the future.

7:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home