Monday, January 17, 2005

It is Miss Peacock

In the itsy bitsy studio with a set of circular needles! Since I have been on the not alltogether voluntary "holiday break" mode I did in fact finish knitting a sweater. And have had enough of the tacky not so interesting cliff hanger. I had to get out of the flat to straighten out the electricity bill (look Ma new French vocabulary!) and stopped to post up the results. All I am going to say, in defense of my needs to be improved photo abilities, is keep me away from the turkeys. I have got to be the world's worst baster I tell you! But I am also impatient and wanted to see how it was going to look as I was a bit on the nervous end of some dimensions. I shouldn't have been, but I am not that perfect in the whole sizing department and neither are Rowan patterns that helpful. In my delurking measure that really didn't delurk people or get guesses; I have for the one correct "guesser" (Ms. Eggplant Diva herself; send me your addy and I will get a postie and French candy off in the post to you, hopefully this week). Ding Ding Ding: for the rest of you- we have a finished Fern. I wish I could say it was Pretty Wrappy Top but in all honesty that pattern and the collar in particular have had me banging my head against the wall. And I have already been a life long contestant in the un-hel,eted stud game for years. I need a break from that whirly-go-round. We already have enough angst Chez Tink at the present and really we don't want to whine about it; nor do we want reminders about it. Let's all not feed the hope addict right now; she has a trial teaspoon in her and really is still in detox and trying to recover from the bout with the Funk. So for right now Pretty Wrappy Top is not striking the resonant cords. Fern on the other hand did; notice that DID; thats cause her knitting is all DONE. I finished a sweater that Im a gonna wear fer real!! That whole thing is kinda exciting. I zoomed right along on her; finishing her around New Year's Day I think. I actually like the pink even when it is made into a frilly edge (contrary to feminist tidings that a certain Harlot has felt; and my associated childhood trauma with the color pink; I now find it to be an ironic color, and am willing to occassionally let it in the closet); and the Kid Classic went over way better than I was expecting. The yardage on that stuff is amazing! The pattern went along ok. There was an initial flub up. And I worked it to this point before I thought to my non-Einstein self; hey self, I bet it's not supposed to look like that. I am still left wondering if I did the wrapped stitch right (current thoughts are negative ghost rider, but with out prisoners attached) and what function it has in the design; but I fixed it so it looked better and continued forward. Holy Pop Rocks Batman that Fern front made my frontal lobe throb!!! I had to fudge on some things; particularly in that whole gotta love of pattern writer jargon- reverse to match other side. Erm Bueller... then we had a length is not matching issue from one front to the other. I guess stress screws up a row gauge issue. EVIL EVIL I tell you. I had to figure out how to redistribute the increases decreases etc. That said and all mussing about, I can't tell a difference between the two fronts except one is a hair shorter (pre-blocking) to the other. I have blocked the sleeves and back; still trying to figure out how to or if to block the fronts. But hey it is a finished sweater. (Nope, still no better at the self photos and no pro like my new favorite read) Now to see if a friendly offer still holds, get back to the shawl and figure out what to make with two hanks of alpaca... As for that shawl- I have decided to go forward, block it out a bit, and have a smaller shawl. I haven't picked it back up but that is what tonight is for. I quite simply could not face the thought of dinking or ripping back all that work. And since I have a minifridge with an incompetent freezer, I had no clue how I was going to get this mohair to behave. It no longer seems as bad as it once did. I extended it with the Denise Set to see the real width and though well... Let's all just breathe and think it might look good. So here we go back to garter stitch - WHEE. Oh and a gratuitous photo of the mittenettes that are going to go into the post to Spiffy (my mother's nickname); once I can get myself there... Right now I am going to go exert positive energy into the universe so that teaspoon of hope will help me turn the notch down on the freak out paranoia alert that has been at code orange lately.

6 Comments:

Blogger FaerieLady said...

Pretty Fern... you did a great job!

5:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love your Fern! Beautifully done! -- Wendy

6:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fern looks beautiful!

cari
(dogsstealyarn.com)

5:10 AM  
Blogger kris said...

wow, it's lovely! congrats!

9:42 AM  
Blogger benedetta said...

Fern ti sta benissimo! Brava!
it's yet another project on my never ending list..

7:46 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

Fern looks beautiful on you! Well done!

7:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home